Manton was founded in 1798 by Sam Manton. Manton was at one time the county seat for Wexford County. However, the
county seat was forcibly moved to Cadillac in the Battle of Manton.
BATTLE OF MANTON
The Wexford County seat of government, originally located in Sherman,
was moved to Manton in 1881, as the result of a compromise between the feuding
residents of Cadillac and Sherman.
Cadillac partisans, however, won the county seat by county-wide vote in April 1882.
The day following the election a sheriff’s posse left the Cadillac for Manton by special
train to seize the county records. After arriving and collecting a portion of the materials,
however, an angry crowd confronted the Cadillac men and drove them from the town.
When the sheriff returned to Cadillac, a force consisting of several hundred armed men
was assembled; this group reportedly included a brass band.
The Sheriff’s force, some of whom may have been intoxicated, traveled
back to Manton to seize the remaining records. Although Manton residents
confronted the Cadillac men and barricaded the courthouse, the posse successfully
seized the documents and, in dubious glory, returned to Cadillac.
Historic Phelps Granary, on Wall Street in Manton